Find an overview of the story of the Historic Indian Agency House, built in 1832 for U.S. Indian sub-agent John Harris Kinzie and his wife, Juliette.
John & Juliette Kinzie
John and Juliette Kinzie were the first residents of the Historic Indian Agency House.
This region was the Ho-Chunk Nation's homeland until their forced removal which commenced in 1833.
In 1856, Juliette Kinzie published a riveting book about her family's experiences in the "Early Day" in the frontier Midwest. It is the story of our site.
The Historic Indian Agency House is owned and operated by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Wisconsin.
Significance of Our Site
The Historic Indian Agency House (previously known as the Old Indian Agency House) was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. In 2012, the house and the site on which it sits were elevated to Nationally Significant status.